Drug addiction treatment
Drug addiction is a disease, the main symptom of which is a pathological craving for the use of specific psychoactive substances, called drugs.
Drug addiction is one of the most serious diseases of our time. This disease affects all aspects of human activity. For it, there are no differences in gender, age, origin. It is a chronic disease, continuously progressing in the absence of treatment, while the addict is often unable to quit drugs on his own. Addiction treatment – comprehensive assistance aimed at eliminating cravings for a pathological substance.
How does drug dependence develop?
Drug addiction as a disease develops gradually, it is characterized by the formation of several syndromes and a phase course.
- Syndrome of variable reactivity. When using the drug, the patient’s protective reflexes gradually fade away, the frequency of use and the very nature of intoxication change. The intake of a substance from a single case becomes regular.
- Mental addiction. This syndrome always occurs with the development of this disease. It is characterized by a continuous and irresistible craving for the drug with a constant depression and a feeling of dissatisfaction in the absence of the latter. This syndrome is the underlying reason for taking a pathological substance over and over again. After consumption, a state akin to euphoria occurs, imaginary well-being and a feeling of vigor, which lasts as long as there is this substance in the blood.
- Physical addiction. Symptom complex, which is expressed in a gradual increase in tolerance (addiction) with regular use of a psychoactive substance, the emergence and progression of withdrawal syndrome.
Narcologist, psychotherapist, psychodrama therapist, hypnotherapist. Chief physician of the clinic
Fact. Despite the public availability of information about this disease, relatives of the addicted person are very little aware of drug addiction, its development and consequences. Up to 90% of the interviewed relatives are not ready to openly discuss this issue with a drug addict.
Signs and symptoms – how to understand that a person is using drugs
The manifestation of the disease will depend on many factors. One of the leading is the type of drug. Most often, the addict manifests not one, but immediately a complex of symptoms. All signs are divided into groups.
- Mood swings. Abrupt changes in periods of apathy and unreasonable excitement;
- Secrecy, isolation;
- Fussiness and “twitching”;
- The appearance of dubious acquaintances, frequent secret phone calls;
- Self-isolation, lack of interest in what was previously occupied;
- Lies and avoiding a direct and truthful answer, resourcefulness.
- Insomnia, which is abruptly replaced by drowsiness and vice versa;
- Pathological distorted perception of reality and unpredictable responses;
- Delusional ideas and hallucinations;
- Loss of memory, concentration, disorientation.
- Sudden unreasonable weight loss;
- Painful skin color;
- Dilated or narrowed pupils;
- Increased fatigue;
- Frequent dry cough or chronic runny nose.
- Loss of interest in work or study;
- Decreased efficiency, academic performance. Regular absenteeism;
- Breaking ties with the usual social circle: family, friends, colleagues;
- Unkempt appearance, neglect of basic hygiene rules;
- Violation of the law.
The higher the experience of the addict, the more signs he has and the brighter the picture of the disease.
An unambiguous sign of the presence of a disease is the marks of injections on the body.
Addiction does not necessarily develop after the first drug intake. But the craving for feelings of imaginary omnipotence and euphoria, which a person felt for the first time, can be the reason for resuming the intake.
Fact. According to experts, one drug addict attracts an average of 13-15 people in his life.
Causes of drug dependence
In different population groups, the causes of the disease are different. Consider the most common – etiology by age group.
- In the overwhelming majority of adolescents, the first trigger is curiosity and the desire to show and prove their independence to others. This is the age of self-affirmation, the period of choosing the path, denying generally accepted values and authorities. In addition, according to surveys of schoolchildren, many of them began to take drugs under pressure and following the example of their older comrades.
Fact. Some experts believe that addiction to drugs, the so-called “chemical addiction” affects about 30% of students at elite universities in our country.
- One of the main causes of addiction is the lack of strong social ties in adolescents. This dry phrase means a lack of love and care of close people, a lack of attention from parents, the ability to speak out and be heard.
- Striving for rebellion, expression of protest, internal conflict. Such reasons will be if the child is not confident in himself, does everything in spite of close people, or out of a sense of selfishness.
- Drug addiction is a collective infection. Once in a certain company, it can spread like a flash. This saying is especially true for adolescents.
An adult, an accomplished person has other motives. Daily problems require quick solutions. In the presence of certain circumstances, the nature of a person, a great emotional or physical stress, people often turn to the help of certain substances in order to somehow escape from reality. When narcotic dreams promise bliss and tranquility, and stress and depression remain in the past, not everyone can escape the temptation. In addition, the unstable economic situation in the country, high unemployment and low education levels are considered one of the reasons for the widespread prevalence of this disease.
Statistics about drug dependence
In Ukraine, among injecting drug users, HIV infection occurs from 42 to 76% from various sources.
1.7% of the country’s population suffers from drug addiction.
Every tenth family faces the problem of drug addiction.
About 10-12 thousand people die from drugs every year. Overdose is in the first place due to death.
Every seventh crime is related to drug use.
From 8% to 26% of schoolchildren aged 13-16 have tried psychoactive substances at least once (data from the Ministry of Health and the Ministry of Internal Affairs for 2014).
There are about 500,000 drug addicts in Ukraine, 300,000 of them are injecting drug users (2018). 170,000 people use drugs regularly. 5,000 of these 170,000 drug addicts have not reached the age of 18.
There are 70 thousand dependents on a supervised account. In specialized clinics, there are only 7000 beds of this profile. Only the last two figures have been officially confirmed, the rest, according to experts, are greatly underestimated.
76% of drug deaths in the world are associated with the use of opioids.
Fact. Ukraine takes one of the leading places in Europe in terms of the spread of drug addiction. According to some information, in our country the number of drug addicts reaches 1 million people.
How to motivate the addict for treatment
The drug addict will most often deny the presence of the disease to the last. To date, the question of compulsory drug addiction treatment remains open. Therapy for this disease should include two aspects: psychological and physical. Compulsory treatment as a compulsory measure only helps with the physical component of addiction. According to statistics, 95% of drug addicts who have undergone compulsory treatment have a relapse in the first year. Such treatment without the consent of the patient is illegal and is possible only in one case – if it is ordered by the court.
This is a psychological intervention in the patient’s personal space in order to develop and implement positive changes. Intervention helps addicts who cannot decide on a course of therapy on their own.
The method is based on calling specialists at home for a professional conversation with a patient with the participation of his relatives. It is based on the consultation of a psychiatrist, who skillfully directs a person to obtain consent to undergo a course of treatment and rehabilitation and helps to formulate the correct motivation.
This technique requires an integrated approach. Any little thing can trigger a relapse. Therefore, it is so important to choose the right doctor and clinic.
Start Your Treatment Today
Licensed and accredited by the Ministry of Health of Ukraine, a narcological and psychiatric clinic in Kyiv “MEDLUX” daily and around the clock, with its staff of narcologists, psychiatrists, psychotherapists, provides specialized emergency medical care to people even in critical conditions.
Accreditation of a medical institution – confirmed by a special commission on an official basis, the existence in this institution of a certain list of criteria for the standard for the provision of care and the availability of a high level of medical support.
Stages of addiction treatment
Our clinic in Kyiv uses a comprehensive step-by-step treatment program. It includes:
- Awareness of the problem. Initial consultation with a narcologist as part of a psychological intervention. Most often it takes place at the addict’s home. With the support of relatives, the specialist convinces the patient to take the first steps towards recovery. Relatives and a narcologist must be unanimous in their position. After consent is obtained, therapy itself begins.
- Diagnostics. At the beginning of the program, the patient undergoes a full diagnosis. It includes laboratory and instrumental examination methods, consultations of specialized specialists. At this stage, the degree and length of the disease, the presence of concomitant diseases are monitored.
- On the basis of the obtained results of the examination, a course of supportive therapy begins simultaneously with the diagnosis. With withdrawal symptoms, the so-called “withdrawal” is carried out. They carry out a comprehensive cleaning of the body from toxins. If the patient has used drugs of the opiate group, then the MEDLUX clinic uses UFOD (ultra-fast opioid detoxification). This process implies not only a special license, but also the presence of a certified experienced narcologist.
At the heart of the stage of removing toxins from the body is drug therapy. Intravenous procedures include multicomponent regimens with vitamins, antioxidants, antihypoxants. If necessary, symptomatic treatment of hepatic, renal, cardiovascular insufficiency, hypnotics and sedatives to relieve withdrawal symptoms is carried out. Sorption methods have also worked well. These are plasmapheresis, hemosorption, enterosorption, hemodialysis. The filing of drugs is carried out at this stage.
- Psychological assistance, the main task of which is to find out the root cause of the use of a narcotic substance. For this, individual consultations of a psychiatrist are carried out, during which the specialist analyzes the patient’s emotional background and works out the problems of this plan.
- Rehabilitation. After removing mental addiction, the process of psychological rehabilitation begins. Here, the program is tailored specifically to the patient’s preferences. Sessions can be group or individual. Joint rest, occupational therapy – all these methods are used in treatment. Patients visit exhibitions, cultural events, and play sports together.
In our clinic, at the stage of rehabilitation, the program of codependents is successfully used. This method is based on the passage of certain moments of the patient’s rehabilitation together with his close people. Those present together rejoice at the results achieved, together they see the difficult path to recovery passed. A close person personally perceives all the difficulties of fighting the disease, goes hand in hand every step of rehabilitation. In turn, the patient feels the attention and love of a close person and more acutely feels his sympathy.
Fact. After completing such a program, 94% of the patients of the clinic noted an improvement in family relations, strengthening of affection, the appearance of lost respect and trust in the family and the presence of constant support of a close person. In 100%, the people around after taking such a course do not say that it is easy to get rid of addiction.
- Post-rehabilitation support. After completing the course of treatment, patients, with the support of the clinic’s curators, gradually return to society. This is one of the most difficult stages of treatment, when a new healthy person gets to know the world again, trying to preserve everything acquired during the course. This is a new stage of personal growth, reassessment of values, and, if necessary, help and support in choosing and changing a profession.
Anonymous drug treatment in Kyiv
Anonymous treatment is primarily based on taking care of the patient and his psychological comfort. What does it mean?
Strict observance of confidentiality is one of the fundamental rules of our center.
The patient’s real name will not appear on the documents.
You do not need to register at a narcological dispensary.
Passing a course of specific therapy will not become an obstacle in later life and career.
The anonymity of the patient when receiving advice and undergoing a course of treatment is guaranteed by the legislation of Ukraine. Medical history and other documents about treatment are provided only to law enforcement agencies after an official request.
Modern and effective treatment of addicts in the “MEDLUX” clinic
At the MEDLUX clinic, patients are received and treated by high-level specialists – narcologists and psychiatrists with many years of experience. Our clinic is:
- 40% of doctors with the highest category, 65% have more than 15 years of experience in their specialty;
- The clinic staff regularly participates in international scientific and practical conferences;
- Successfully implemented anonymous treatment programs;
- Individual approach and comfortable conditions of stay;
- 24/7 monitoring;
- In 2019, 3500 patients with addiction were successfully treated in our clinic;
- The percentage of effective remission is more than 75%;
- Affordable prices.
In the clinic, specialists will find an individual approach to each person who applies. Addiction can be dealt with; we prove it every day in practice.
Cost of addiction treatment – price in Kyiv
House-call of a narcologist 4000 uah
Treatment of drug addiction in a hospital from 5000 uah/day*
UBOD (Quick Detox) from 30000 uah
Outpatient drug treatment (detoxification) 3000 uah
Drug test in urine + consultation with a narcologist 1200 uah
Initial consultation with a narcologist / psychiatrist up to 1 hour (upon admission to the hospital - free of charge!) 1500 uah
Repeated consultation with a narcologist / psychiatrist 1000 uah
Our center offers several treatment programs. Their duration is different and ranges from 2 to 30 days. The program is selected individually depending on the patient’s age, length of illness, and the presence of concomitant diagnoses
Correct motivation and competent therapy, together with the patient’s desire to be cured, will certainly lead to the desired result.
Types of drugs