Anorexia nervosa is an eating disorder characterized by deliberate weight loss caused and / or maintained by the patient himself. Patients suffering from this disease severely restrict themselves to food, as a rule, due to dissatisfaction with their own figure. Eating food makes them feel guilty, which is why many artificially induce vomiting or give cleansing enemas after eating. Physiological causes can also lead to abnormal weight loss.
Anorexia is a progressive disease that leads to a rapid deterioration in physical and psychological health. Therefore, treatment must be resorted to as soon as possible.
Causes of anorexia
The full range of causes that can lead to the onset of the disease has not yet been determined. In the scientific world, there are disputes and discussions regarding this issue. But on some points, experts have already come to an agreement.
- disorders of the immune system;
- various hormonal disorders;
- serious diseases of the gastrointestinal tract;
- prolonged hyperthermia;
Psychological problems are more common causes of anorexia. Among them:
- low self-esteem;
- hypertrophied perfectionism;
- a distorted idea of the correct weight and beauty;
- psychological trauma;
- physical and sexual abuse.
In addition, scientists have proven the influence of heredity. People whose relatives have suffered or are suffering from alcoholism, mental disorders, anorexia, are prone to this disease.
Start Your Treatment Today
Stages of mental anorexia
This type of disease has three stages of development: primary or dysmorphomanic, anorectic, cachectic.
The primary stage is characterized by dissatisfaction with one’s body and anthropometric data. Against this background, a person falls into depression, obsessive thoughts visit him. The patient begins to develop aversion to food.
The anorectic stage is the active phase of development. During this time, the person suffering from the disease loses up to 50% of their weight. In addition to severe restrictions on the amount of food taken, the patient most often resorts to bulimia – causing vomiting after eating.
The cachectic stage of anorexia is characterized by a significant deterioration in human health. Diseases of the cardiovascular system, organ dystrophy and other negative consequences appear. In addition, weight loss becomes uncontrollable. If untreated at this stage, death is possible.
Symptoms of anorexia
Narcologist, psychotherapist, psychodrama therapist, hypnotherapist. Chief physician of the clinic
- Obesophobia – fear of gaining excess weight;
- Fatphobia is a mental state in which a person tends to be horrified, fearful at the sight of overweight people, obese people, and also feel disgust at the same time;
- Obsession with the number of calories consumed, the amount of food taken;
- Abnormal desire for increased physical activity;
- Desire to wear baggy clothes to hide your “extra” weight;
- Constant nervousness, aggressiveness;
- Avoiding events where it is customary to eat food. Rejection of going to cafes, restaurants;
- Frequent dizziness;
- Feeling cold caused by poor circulation;
- Decreased sexual activity. In women, the absence of menstruation;
- Sleep disturbances.
Diagnostics of anorexiaThe main method for diagnosing anorexia is to determine the body mass index. The formula is as follows: weight in kilograms must be divided by the height in meters squared. If the index is less than 16, a lack of mass is diagnosed. In addition, the diagnosis includes the following procedures:
- Blood chemistry;
- general analysis of blood and urine;
- a blood test for thyroid hormones;
Treatment of anorexia in MEDLUX clinicThe clinic’s specialists carry out a whole range of procedures and therapeutic measures. The therapy consists of medication, psychological assistance and dietary nutrition.
Drug treatment is aimed at restoring the affected organs and systems, as well as at normalizing the patient’s psychoemotional state.
The essence of the dietary food is under the selection of optimal products, as well as a gradual increase in portions. In especially difficult cases, nutrients are administered intravenously to the patient.
As a result of the therapy carried out by experienced MEDLUX doctors, patients gradually gain weight, their health condition improves, and the wrong worldview is corrected.
Anorexia is an extremely dangerous disease, and the sooner you start treating it, the greater the chance of success. Call us, come to the clinic – do not give the disease a single chance!